To deliver specific lived experience training in mental health first aid. The training can be provided at client’s venues if preferred. The course uses a very interactive approach to enable all delegates to contribute and to ensure mental health first aid is adopted in the workplace. This includes adjustment regulations.
Mental Health First Aid Matters
What is it?
The assistance given to someone before professional help is obtained. Like physical first aid it is immediate help at a time when it is most needed.
The aims of Mental Health First Aid Matters are to:
• Preserve life when a person may be in danger to themselves or others
• Promote comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem
• Raise awareness of mental health issues in the community
• Promote recovery of good mental health and physical well being
• Reduce stigma and discrimination
• Provide help to prevent the mental health problems developing into a more serious state
Mental Health First Aid Matters:
Does not teach people to become therapists
However it does teach people to:
• Recognise the symptoms of mental health problems
• Provide initial help in guiding a person towards the appropriate professional support
Mental Health First Aid Matters is a ground breaking programme that helps the public to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and distress
The programme is offered in the form of an interactive course that presents an overview of mental illness and introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems, builds understanding of there impact, and overview common treatments from Lived Experience Recovery perspectives covering the 5 Ways to Wellbeing
Those who take the course learn:
• How to create an action plan encompassing the skills, resources and knowledge to help an individual in crisis to connect with appropriate professional, peer, social and self-help care
The Mental Health First Aid Matters course has benefited a variety of audiences and key professionals including:
• Primary care professionals
• Faith communities
• School personnel
• Nursing home staff
Changes Plus – Wellbeing Services
We are able to provide an accessible and effective support service to assist those who may experience unnecessary worry and stain, covering the following topics
- What is stress?
- Fight or flight – reaction to induced stress
- Effects of stress
- Pressure versus stress
- Effective stress management
- Diet and exercise